On April 23, 1882, a group calling
themselves the "Sedalia Union Sunday School" met for the first
time. From 1889 to 1899 the present church building was constructed by
members of the community, from stone quarried in the neighborhood. The
church was originally known as the Sedalia Presbyterian Church.
The church continued as a place
of worship in the community until 1948, when it closed because many
people had moved away. The building was left standing, with minimal
upkeep, hoping to reopen at a later date. Annually, on the second Sunday
of September, members gathered for a "homecoming”. The tradition
continues today. God was not finished
with His work in the community back in 1946. He worked in a most unusual
way, using an act of vandalism to bring about the reopening of the
Church on April 19, 1964.
Sedalia Community Church holds worship services each Sunday morning at 8:30 A.M. and 11:00 A.M., continuing as God's voice in the Sedalia community. Sunday School opening exercises begin at 9:30A,M. Persons of many denominational backgrounds worship together in a spirit of freedom and reverence.